Friday, August 07, 2009

Thought I'd throw together something quickly before Olivia and I head over to my mom's for a cookout.

Why the heck was I working today? Shouldn't this have been a postal holiday or something??? Today is Wayne Knight's birthday. Confused? You're thinking, "Who the heck is Wayne Knight?" Well he just happens to be one of the most famous mail carriers ever. He was "Newman" on Seinfeld. I'm guessing had he shown mail carriers in a more favorable light, maybe we'd get today off. He wasn't exactly a shining beacon of wonderfulness. Being a letter carrier isn't all roses and puppies though, so maybe he had a reason for his attitude. Just check out this survey of 200 jobs given to people. Mail Carrier ended up at #189. On the bright side, it is ahead of garbage collector. Man I'd hate that job. I just hate when it passes me by on the street, those things reek.

Courtesy of my buddy Todd, here's a good use for an empty drive bay in your computer. It's the PC Easybake Oven. If Julez had this, he'd probably never leave his computer.

I think I'm gonna add a regular feature to my blogs highlighting a musical artist or group that is getting a lot of regular play for me. Maybe that'll give them some more exposure to the people that read this blog, most of whom probably haven't heard much from them. Today's spotlight is on The Smiths. This was a band I was really kinda "meh" on at first, but this has happened with a number of bands for me -- Steely Dan and Yes for two -- and those both rose to the top of my favorite bands list after a while.

The Smiths are likely one of the best bands of the 80s alternative and indie rock movement. No one in the band is named Smith, they wanted a name that wouldnt sound pompous, as opposed to names like Orchestral Maneouvres in the Dark and Spandau Ballet. The band was spearheaded by the very strange Steven Morrissey, who usually just goes by his surname, and the great guitarist Johnny Marr. Their most famous song is likely "How Soon is Now?", which I'll admit is very good, but my favorite songs from the group are "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", "There is a Light That Never Goes Out", and "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side". You'll notice that they like to use song names that are longer than the entire lyrics of many other artists' songs.

I know that it's unlikely that I just got anyone to rush over and download those songs, but you really should. They're that good. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I know I listen to some pretty weird stuff compared to others.

I've also been thinking about attempting to put some parts of my website back together. While that's probably an exercise in futility, I still plan on giving it a shot when I get some free time.

No comments: