Thursday, October 22, 2009

Add one more to the list of my web addictions...

This time my addiction is the movie ranking website known as FlickChart.

The premise is simple. After you register, the site will give you two movies. If you've seen them both, click on the one you like better. If you've seen one but not the other, click the "haven't seen it" button under the one you haven't seen until you get two movies you have seen. If you've seen neither, click the "Haven't seen either" button.

Once you start ranking movies you've seen, they will start to form a dynamically changing ordered list of your favorite movies. At first, some movies might be a lot higher than you expected, but with time, and use of the right filters, these movies will find it to where they belong.

Right now the friends features aren't too robust, but they plan to add a lot more to it, like where you can see a composite ranking of the Top Films of All-Time just based on the rankings of your friends. That is something I'm really interested in, and so I'm hoping to get as many of my friends and family into this as possible.

Doing this has made me realize there are some movies that I like a lot more than I realized I did. And movies that I didn't realize I liked so much better than everyone else. On Flickchart, Driven was one of the 40 worst movies of all-time. However, I rate it at #45 on my list. I really, really liked it. But those things happen here and there. Still, it makes for good debate. If you do join (and please do), let me know your username so I can add you as my friend.


No comments: